Exclusively Setters

Home for Irish Setter Lovers Around the World

Did you know about this?


Please tell every dog or cat owner you know. Even if   
you don't have a pet,  please pass this to those who do. 
Over the weekend, the doting owner of two young lab 

mixes  purchased Cocoa Mulch   from Target to use in 
their  garden. The dogs loved the way it smelled and 
it was advertised to  keep cats away from  their garden. 
Their dog  (Calypso) decided the mulch smelled good   
enough to eat and devoured a large  helping.  She vomited 
a few  times which was typical  when she eats something   
new but wasn't acting lethargic in any way.  The next day, 
Mom woke up and took Calypso out for her morning walk. 
Half way through the walk, she had a seizure and died instantly.   

Although the mulch had NO warnings printed on the label, 

upon further investigation on the company's web site,  

This product is HIGHLY toxic to dogs and cats. 

Cocoa Mulch is manufactured by Hershey's, and they 

claim that "It is true that studies have shown that 50% 
of the dogs that eat Cocoa Mulch can suffer physical harm 
to a variety of degrees (depending on each individual dog). 
However, 98% of all dogs won't eat it."
*Snopes site gives the following information  
<http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/cocoamulch.asp> *   

Cocoa Mulch, which is sold by Home Depot, Foreman's 

Garden Supply and other Garden supply stores contains 
a lethal ingredient called 'Theobromine'. It  is lethal to 
dogs and  cats. It  smells like  chocolate and it really 
attracts dogs.  They will ingest this stuff and die. Several 
deaths already occurred in the last  2-3 weeks.

Theobromine is in all chocolate, especially dark or 

baker's  chocolate which is  toxic to dogs. Cocoa bean   
shells contain potentially toxic quantities of theobromine,   
a xanthine compound similar in effects to caffeine and 
theophylline.  A dog that  ingested a lethal quantity of 
garden mulch made from cacao bean  shells developed   
severe convulsions and died 17 hours later. Analysis   
of the stomach contents and the ingested cacao bean   
shells revealed the presence of lethal amounts of theobromine.  
  
  
**PLEASE PASS  THIS ON**
   

Views: 31

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Susan,
Thank you for adding this....what I posted may not have been 100% accurate....on the other hand it still seems something to be aware of.....

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2017   Created by Gene.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service