Exclusively Setters

Home for Irish Setter Lovers Around the World

Dealing with bitches in season over the age of 12

I have a 14 plus bitch that is not coming out of season. I have noticed that as my girls get older they tend to strech out there seasons a bit but we are going on 8 weeks of this. any sugestion would be helpful.Jade history in her younger days she was a one a year heat cycle then one she hit the age of 12 it has been every 6 months. She has had 2 litters in the far past the last litter she was 7 years old. She is very health for a dog that will be 15 in April.

Views: 105

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A long season plus longer willing to be mated is known over here in elderly bitches. Especially the longer willing to be mated was quite tricky..... So heres sharing a story. While burying our old Ailean, her littersister Aislinn was walking away from the scene, our old dog Laddy (Chico von R.) as well. Right at the moment the last sand was put over Ailean, we saw just around the corner of our old barn new life being created....
Not coming out of season could mean there is something wrong as well. If this was my bitch, I would make a quick appointment with a vet just to make certain.
The Book of the Bitch might provide answers, it is on Google Books. It says " the anoestrus periods tend to be longer in the elderly bitch". But ofcourse vet first!
Thanks I have order the book, have done the vet route found nothing. Although finding a vet that knows anything about senior bitches in tact is a major challenge. Most of them that do reproduction admit they do not know what to do after they have pups. Then we have the pet vet that spays and neuters everything. And at almost 15 everything is conservative
Cassie you can also read The Book of the Bitch on the Internet, it is on Google Books. Another one alas as far as I know (not doublechecked) only in Dutch, is De Geboorte bij de hond, ISBN 9058601315 (Naarden, 1973) written by professor Naaktgeboren. It is in line with The Book of the Bitch saying (pp21) literature tells about a longer season in elderly bitches, irregularity while becoming older is typical.

I share your experiences with vets, lacking knowledge on this subject. And yes spaying and neutering is far from only American, it is clearly on the rise here as well. I have now a dog for holidays here also "done", owned by a vet. Luckily he does not show any signs of changing coat or temperament said to be typical for Irish setters.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Gene.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service