Exclusively Setters

Home for Irish Setter Lovers Around the World

Feeding raw vegetables is it safe especially cabbage

Molly loves raw cabbage but I am not sure whether it is safe to give it to her. Any suggestions

Views: 12353

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Molly stole the cabbage... she is a problem when comes into the kitchen. We are the same with sticks and our Molly does the same thing. Looks at us like see what I have clever me. Not much action from her today but this evening she will get more energy
ahhh like my Shilo and his stolen broccoli!  So far Molly has not countersurfed here and waits for us to feed her ....she has two bowls here...one for her special treats and one for regular food .  She will watch us cook and if you drop something she takes care of keeping the floor clean...tonight had a small dry spaghetti noodle I dropped and thought she found gold! Did Molly eat the whole cabbage?
yes heaps she was o.k. she loved it so much that is why I asked the question because I was not sure about letting her have it. She just had pieces as we were slicing it up. She is sneeky. the last IS was worse she would wait until you were not looking and then do all the things she knew she was not suppoed to do. She was alot harder to handle than Molly. Last IS stole some meat I had thawing out on the bench for our dinner. Not happy but they are so adorable it is hard to get mad with them
I had one who stole a roast down at my Mom's....Mom just cut off the part she chewed on , washed it and put it into the oven but I could not eat any of it.  Thankful Molly does not seem to steal food here....just if it drops on the floor.  Wonder if it is because being inside a house was new to her when she came home to us while the others were raised from puppy underfoot here?
i could not have eaten it either. My last two IS were outside more than Molly and yes they did steal. Molly is a good girl most of the time. Now alseep on the wooden floor as it is hot today.

I read somewhere a few weeks ago that you should never feed raw brocolli to dogs with empty stomachs.  Apparently fed in large quantities brocolli becomes toxic to dogs.

I never ever give them mushrooms or onions ,both are very bad for dogs.

I give my dogs all leftover cooked veggies and they also have a whole raw carrot a couple of times a week.

None of my setters will eat any fruit yet my cocker spaniel likes a apple or pear occassionally.

One of my dogs loves raw peppers and avocado but apparently avocado is not too good for them either!

Feeding dogs is a bit like a mine field really! 

If your dog suffers from wind then its probably more to do with the brand of food your feeding rather than veggies.  I feed a no cereal diet and none of my dogs suffer from wind at all.

no she does not suffer from wind. I think what others are saying cabbage could give them wind. Thanks for your input. I just found it interesting that she loves cabbage so much. My first IS ate some figs of the tree that made her sick not where we are living now.
Well after reading this will add to my list of do not feed for Miss Molly....keep her with her green beans and small pieces of banannas that she loves.  Thankyou for the information on broccoli....seems everyday more foods are added to the list of things not good for our dogs but love that we can share this information with each other so easily.
Hi Val.  A friend of mine's bitch went into bloat after eating a bag of raw sprouts and had to have her stomach pumped.  Cabbage has the same effect.  You can power your car on cabbage with cooked barley.  If it gives you wind it will give your dog wind.  Dogs are not natural vegetable eaters and find many veggies indigestible.  They will eat pre-digested cereals and fruit in the wild, especially as stomach contents of the animals they kill.  Everything in moderation.  In saying that mine love brocolli stalks but won't eat carrots unless they are cooked with butter.  They also love melon and eat the blackberries off the bushes.

there is the sense of it all. Everything in moderation. If I ate a whole bag of raw sprouts I would be able to light farts to send me to the moon!!

the biggest drawback most people find with fruit and veg is "not knowing" It isnt like a bag of stuff or a tin and we have been told for EVER that this is how you feed a dog.

Try stuff. Two of mine are crazy about oranges but the other two think that is disgusting.

With veg, because they would normally be eating pre digested stuff I cook cauli and broccoli "al dente" and add some to their dinner not every day but whenI have them.

I had a dog that was crazy over water melon,the others wouldn't touch it.I would give him a slice and he would pick it up and look as if he had a wide, green, smile!
Howard you feed the rind also?  I only give the actual fruit here ....and that is why I feed it off a plastic fork on the patio to keep all that sticky watermelon juice out of her ears!

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Gene.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service