Exclusively Setters

Home for Irish Setter Lovers Around the World

Gastric necrosis - survival chances and problems ahead?

Bailey had surgery for bloat today. Suddenly stopped eating yesterday. Looked entirely depressed and not his usual self today that there was no question - he HAD to be seen by the vet. So glad we did.

Vet has operated and suggested Bailey might have chronic gastric vovulus. The good news is the vet reports his stomach and spleen are ok but there are signs of limited gastric necrosis. Does anyone know what the implications of this is? Are we in for a tough time ahead? Will this effect his recovery/survival chances.

(The house is eerily quiet without our rowdy boy.)

Views: 169

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Alison,
I'm so terribly sorry to read about Bailey and just want to wish you all the very best. I think the first few days after surgery are the most critical so I hope Bailey makes it over this time and you can then find a routine that suits you both.
Thinking of you.
Susan
I hope your Bailey is recovering well, it is something we all dread. I do think, however, that if you are going to contact anyone you inform your breeder. That is far more important than getting in touch with Lynne Dale and the ISBC. It would be as devestating for them as it is for you and they would need to know.
I'm so sorry for you and Bailey! thinking of you and fingers are crossed!
hi alison sorry to hear about bailey.the next few days will be critical for him but i hope he comes through and makes a full recovery
you are all in our thoughts
Our fourteen year old Star bloated on Easter Saturday last year; we took her straight away to the emergency clinic and Xrays told us we had a decision. We opted to operate and do the gastroplexy after careful consultations with the attending vet and the surgeon - her overall health was excellent, so it seemed to us so pointless to put her down because her stomach was misbehaving if they honestly felt she would survive the surgery given her age. Fortunately, though she, too, in retrospect had a chronic volvulus, the gastroplexy and a rather strict adherence to a grain-free, carefully monitored diet, has done wonders. Now a grand old lady, she is almost back to normal - eating well, maintaining weight and enjoying life. When the surgeons operated, their notes indicated that inside she "looked like an eight year old" -- heartening news for us, given the stresses of surgery.

Good luck -- it was a tough recovery for Star. At one point post-surgery she was down to 38 pounds (from a normal of 60). Now she is holding steady at 58 pounds, has her hair back, and is still very much a member of our household.

My best advice for you is to really look at your feeding regimen, and remove anything that can cause gas (grains and some additives). I feed a premium dry food now that has a venison base, plus alternating a top dressing of home made (de boned) chicken, including the giblets, very high quality canned (salmon, venison, or those in combination with sweet potatoes). I am very careful about reading labels, too -- there's lots of hidden "stuff" in many of the products on the market for dogs that can cause these reactions.

Good luck to you and your boy, and know I'm pulling for him.
Many thanks for all the messages of support and advice. I was allowed to see my boy for 10 minutes today. He was like a rag doll but very pleased to see me (almost pulled his drip out trying to get out of the cage). The vet is encouraged to see Bailey keen to get up and around. He's managed a little food and they are just "waiting to see something come out the other end". Not home clear yet but I keep reminding myself that he's a young and otherwise fit dog. I know it's no guarantee but it must help his chances.
Just hoping Bailey is getting the 'thumbs up' from the vet and will soon be on his way home to you!
Thanks Susan. Got Bailey home today. He's lost a lot of weight but is trying to be his usual self. It's wonderful to see. He hates the tinned food the vet gave us as the stepping stone to eating normally again (Royal Canin Sensitivity Control) so I've cooked some chicken and rice. He's very keen to eat this although he's picking out the chicken and ignoring the rice. The vet is very optimistic because he's now eating little and often and has managed to do some 'business'. Looks as though everything is still working.
Glad to hear Bailey is eating and on the up. X
Hello Alison - I read about your situation with Bailey yesterday and my heart went out to you; I thought about you last night as I watched my boy Reuben tucking in with gusto to his dinner - bloat is always a constant worry! I'm so so pleased to hear Bailey is home and managing to eat a little something. Fingers (and paws) crossed here from us - hope to hear he is putting on weight and recovering well very soon.
Alison,

How is Baily getting on now? Our vet co-incidentally gave the same food R. Canin Chicken and Rice sensitivity control to Canagan, one of our dogs after his first operation.

We also have had some real problems with Torsion and Bloat over the last year and it seems incredible even now that despite the twisting and stretching of the stomach muscle it still, to some degree, functions. I'm sure that time helps the healing process and I have read many stories of dogs that have suffered a torsion and bloat go on to live long happy lives.

Lynne Dale does have a great deal of experience with this issue as well as trying to build up a database on the problem. Yes you should also let your breeder know what has happened.
I hope your Bailey is continuing to recover well from this horrible condition and he is able to sustain a long and healthy life. love from down under.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Gene.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service