Exclusively Setters

Home for Irish Setter Lovers Around the World

We have a gorgeous 5 month old dog who seems to hump me quite alot! He locks onto my leg and keeps going! I'm putting it down to excitement? because it's often after a lovely walk,after playing ball or an activity like I'm digging in the garden - quite exhausting with a humping setter on your leg! Or when I'm baking and cooking.The other thing is he doesn't do it as much to my husband?

I try to ignore him, turn my back on him, fold my arms etc ( like I would if he jumps up) shake him off, distract him with toys or do some sits and downs but would welcome any thoughts on why he does it and good things to try and stop it!

Views: 217

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think some dogs are just more randy than others.  I always have neutered males.  One of mine humped anything that moved till the day he died.  My current dog will hump my teenage son when they rough house a bit.  I just remove him and tell him no firmly and he usually gives it up.  I would let the dog know it isn't allowed since he might do it to another dog sometime and often the other dog won't tolerate it.  In other words I am trying to say that neutering won't fix this issue in all dogs and from what I have learned here, correction works best. 
Thanks Sue, will try being a little firmer with saying no!

Hi Sue,interesting thoughts. I am definately more available as I'm at home with the dogs. He is not like it when he meets other dogs. He is very good,often lying down first submissively and loves every dog and human he meets! He does lick himself quite alot, but very calmly and not at all distressed. It would be good if he does do it less with age.

Thank you

This is a common problem with young confident males in all breeds. 

A really bellowing 'GET OFF' and at the same time, a very seriously angry stare into his eyes let's him know that this is not acceptable behaviour. 

Bet he would'nt do it to me twice!

Hi Val,

Merlot's much better now I'm being firmer and not doing it very much at all now. He's a very lovely, intelligent boy and doing quite alot for me really with firmer voice commands - stays etc.

Thanks  alot,

Sue

Hi....

Glad to hear he's responding........well done!

Hi,

You need to stop it now.

Forcibly remove him and very firmly tell him off, otherwise you will end up with an adult male setter that is a very unpleasant dog. I had 1 back a few years ago whose owner had let him do as you are doing and he even humped the furniture and made a right mess. He still does it now occaisionally but gets a really good telling off and a clip round the ear if that doesnt work. Dogs are like children if you just ignore them they carry on doing what they want when they want it is the present culture that says you should not smack, but just telling them they are naughty without showing them, they are doing wrong just doesnt work. He is a dominant puppy and you need to show him you are the boss not him, thats possibly why he doesnt bother so much with you husband.

Ill now wait for the flack. Mary

It like children

I can't believe the above comments!

Using force, clipping them round the ear...unbelievable!

These are the best methods if you want to ruin your dog for life!

I have helped lots of people with pups who have this issue to deal with.   It can be sorted out so easily.

I roll them off me and then leave them on there back and growl just as mom does. To me it is a manner issue and if you watch them try it on a alfa dog it get stopped very quickly. I have seen it with them bitting or just putting them down and holding there mouth over them to let them know it is not an exceptable behavior.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Gene.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service