Exclusively Setters

Home for Irish Setter Lovers Around the World

Many will have seen this somewhere before and some will not. Personally, I love it. Please enjoy.

A Breeder (with a capital B) is one who thirsts for knowledge and never really knows it all, one who wrestles with decisions of conscience, convenience, and commitment. One that shares this knowledge and guides those interested.
A Breeder is one who sacrifices personal interests, finances, time, friendships, fancy furniture, and deep pile carpeting! She gives up the dreams of a long luxurious cruise in favor of turning that all important show into this year's "vacation".
The Breeder goes without sleep in hours spent planning a breeding or watching anxiously over the birth process, and afterwards, over every little wiggle or cry.
The Breeder skips dinner parties because that litter is due or the babies have to be fed at eight. She disregards birth fluids and puts mouth to mouth, to save a gasping newborn, literally blowing life into a tiny helpless creature that may be the culmination of a lifetime of dreams.
A Breeder's lap is a marvelous place where dogs of proud and noble heritage often snooze.
A Breeder's hands are strong and firm and often soiled, but ever so gentle and sensitive to the thrusts of a puppy's wet nose.
A Breeder's back and knees are usually arthritic from bending and sitting in the whelping box, but are strong enough to guide that new little pup to maturity.
A Breeder's shoulders are often heaped with responsibility, but they're wide enough to support the weight of a thousand defeats and frustrations.
A Breeder's arms are always able to wield a mop, support an armful of puppies, or lend a helping hand to a newcomer.
A Breeder's ears are wondrous things, sometimes red (from being talked about), or strangely shaped (from being pressed against a phone receiver). Often deaf to criticism, yet always fine tuned to the whimper of an anxious puppy.
A Breeder's brain is foggy on faces, but can recall pedigrees faster than an IBM computer.
The Breeder's heart is often broken, but it beats strongly with hope everlasting.......and it's always in the right place! Oh, yes, there are breeders, and then, there are Breeders!!!
Author Unknown

I firmly believe this, but I'm neither a Breeder nor a breeder.

Dawn R.

Views: 504

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's beautiful Dawn and what I've always believed

Having flooded the market over the last 40+ years 'in puppies' (I have produced all of 4 litters) I feel the person that wrote this has seen some good 'Breeders'

I have breed many different animals over the years from Chickens/rabbits to horses and cattle...and many different ones in between....my sheep come to mind....I remember when my last two lambs, ever, went to the happy grazing ground in the sky...via my daughters B.B.Q (the reason they were the last ones ever, was, because I just couldn't take letting them go to their fate any more...too upsetting for me) they went away with my daughter and a few of her students from Aberdeen University....and one of the young men turned to her and asked....''does your mother always behave like that when the lambs go???'' Yes she said....I was practically on my knees crying my heart out...(still brings a tear to my eye) and I am the same with my puppies....every last one of them...they are not just commodities they are and always will be 'my babies' and they are just 'on loan' to their forever (hopefully new homes...) and my bitches are not just 'incubators' and nor should they be...they are not there to make me money...so we should be careful of who we buy puppies from these noble animals can't speak for themselves we need to treasure them not exploit them....and that takes hard work and commitment...

That is so nice

Beautifully said Dee

Thank you Maggie, the older I get the more sentimental I get....

Know how you feel Mel...

This is going to get like a mutual adoration society....amen to that Mel....lol

I'm pleased that you all enjoyed this. ''People'' forget that there are Breeders that are dedicating their lives to their beloved breeds, really spending alot of time, money and emotion on furthering their breeding programmes and bringing years of planning to fruition.

I for one am grateful in the extreme, to those Breeders, they enable me to have my wonderful boys and girls, because of them I can do things the easy way. They do all the hard work and I have all the benefits. Thankyou to all the Breeders out there. Thankyou Michael Gadsby, Liz Rose-Hay and Dee Milligan-Bott and Jeremy Bott, for my current doggie family.

:)   It goes without saying....

I'm sure I saw this posted on a German IS breeder's website recently. In German! Wonder where it originates from...

I don't know where it originates either, but I saw it years ago and I've posted it in several places since because I love it so much. I'd love to know who wrote it.

Dawn R.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Gene.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service