Exclusively Setters

Home for Irish Setter Lovers Around the World

Memorial/Tribute Thread for all of our Dogs that have passed (waiting at the Bridge)

I wanted to start a thread like this for a while, but didn’t know exactly where to do it so I believe this is as good a place as any.

I was thinking it would be nice to have a memorial/tribute thread for all of the dogs that have passed on after touching our lives in so many special ways. As near as I can tell, we have people from at least 10 different countries but I would assume the way that dogs touch the soul transcends countries, languages, and cultures.

Although I had two dogs as a boy growing up, I made the transition to a dog person over the last 15 years. Whenever I lose a dog, I go through a tremendous grieving process. There’s a poem that always gives me a lot of comfort called the Rainbow Bridge. I would bet that 99% of you know about it but for the 1% that may not, it is worth sharing…

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

If it is OK with everyone, let’s use this thread to post tributes to our dogs waiting for us at the Bridge. Include a photo and a special story or memory about them, if you are comfortable sharing.

Views: 204

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Chelsea 1992 - 2002
I will start off sharing about a dog that I have talked about in my pictures and other postings, Chelsea. She was my first Irish Setter and my ex-girl friend’s ex-husband’s dog.

Chelsea was a great dog that I had for about 9.5 years. In the spring of 2002, she developed a large bump on her front right leg about the size of a golf ball. Several biopsies could not confirm it was cancerous. We debated on removing the leg. Since we couldn’t determine that it was and I was worried about her quality of life with a missing leg, I decided not to remove it. In hindsight, this was a mistake. During the summer, the growth grew and the vets recommended that we remove it just to be safe. The biopsy proved that it was bone cancer.

My favorite memory of her was seeing how amazingly well she got around on 3 legs, at least for a couple months. Then, she started to slow down and got to the point she really had issues walking. My saddest memory was the night before I put her down. When she had her leg removed, I took the mattress and put it on the floor so she could still get on the bed. She was so weak she couldn’t even walk up on the mattress so I slept by her on the floor. Turns out the cancer had spread to her shoulder in her front left leg. She would literally try and stand on her back legs to relieve the pain.

During those 6 months, there were numerous trips to the vet, where I would grieve the entire drive home. I am somewhat embarrassed to even think about the amount of tears I shed for her those last months. She left knowing one thing for sure, I loved her dearly.
Attachments:
Bone cancer in dogs seems to becoming more common than not. I'm sorry for your loss. She was a beautiful dog and your ex-girlfriends--ex-husband...had a wonderful dog that enriched your life for sure.

Loma and Red Friends
USA
Rupert really was a special boy. I am so happy that we had a litter by him. These babies are really lovely and oh so naughty. Well we knew when we put this two together we'll get "hell on wheels". Love Alenka
My Flavio (1995-2004) A day does not pass without my thinking of him....
Attachments:
The darling Jazzy was my "mid-life crisis" puppy and turned into the love of my dog-life. I had been out of Irish for a number of years to raise a family, and I knew that if I wanted to get back into the field I'd better get with it before I got too old to do what I wanted to do! My dear friend Jill Ross had bred field Irish for many generations and I went to her for my new "project." And what a project she was - sweet, fun, pleasing, and a heckuva bird dog! She won her ISCA Futurity, and finished her AFC at the ISCA National Field Trial. Along the way we put thousands of miles on the truck, the horse and our feet, and met lots of people who are our friends today even though we seldom get to see them.

She quietly left us on a beautiful summer day, just a couple weeks after I had the nerve to don a tuxedo and show her off in the Veterans Sweepstakes at the ISCA National Specialty show in Ft. Worth. I think of her every day, and will miss her forever. I had read this poem at some earlier time, liked it and saved it. It hangs on the wall next to her photo.

AFC Jazzy O’Shillelagh, JH
7/18/1990 – 7/6/2003

We have a secret, you and I,
That no one else shall know
For who but I can see you lie
Each night in fire glow.

And who but I can reach my hand
Before we go to bed
And feel the living warmth of you
And touch your silken head?

And only I walk woodland paths,
And see ahead of me,
Your small form racing with the wind,
So young again, and free…

And only I can see you swim
In every brook I pass
And when I call, no one but I
Can see the bending grass

Londa Warren, Edmond, OK
My first Irish setter Quantos van de grasbroekrhof born 12 april 1979 died july 1985 he had epileptic.
My 2nd Irish Setter Loskeran Dark Oak born march 1995 died in 2006.
Still miss them and they will never be forgotten.
I don't know about a Rainbow Bridge but do know about bridging generations because some characteristics dive up in descendants...
Like those of my favourite Irish ever: Ailean.

As a kennelboy working in once famous Dutch kennels of O'Cuchulain, it was Irish import Derrycarne Harp catching my eye immediately. Her eyes were far more adventurous than her dual-showfamily. And those of her daugther Ailean. Wow that setter was adventure written all over....

One bad day Ailean was gone. Her half sister Siobhan as well. She came back after quite a few days very bony. But no Ailean. We started searching and searching. Farmers complaining about a fox, but no, no Irish setter seen.

Hope was gone already three weeks later.

Staring into a misty morning from the puppyroom filled with Harps new offspring that she had put on my bed, a small stip approached. Culdn't believe my eyes! A big lick all over my face.

Seeing her being fed quite well, I wondered: who the hell was that fox????

Henk ten Klooster.
Red was my first Irish Setter. He was with me through 2 marriages and 2 divorces. He slept on the floor beside my bed every night until I brought my baby daughter home from the hospital. From that night on, he slept beside or under her crib until he could no longer climb the stairs up to the bedrooms. My daughter's first word was Red instead of Mom.

He was a beautiful dog. I showed him in obedience and at the tender age of 9 months, Red earned the first 2 legs of his CD title. He was never in the top high scores, because he was usually busy watching the audience instead of paying 100% attention to me. He was 4 years old and had gained 2 legs of his CDX in both Canada and the US, when I dropped out of the obedience ring and he was happy just to be with me.

He has been gone for many years now and I still miss him.
When my beloved Irish setter Joseph departed for the Bridge I was heartbroken. I received much comfort from the posts I received from all over the world after I posted on the lists of my loss. I will always remember fondly those who took the time to send a message. The enclosed file is the tribute I put in our local's club's newsletter as a memorial to my boy.
Barb Janicek (watergirl0153226)
Attachments:
Barb,
I read your memorial and it put a lump in my throad and a tear in my eye! Thank you for sharing it. I lost my Irish last October and I felt comforted in reading your memorial.

Best wishes,
Judi Schuerman
I am very happy that you started this thread. I like to tell you all about my little Vera that had to be put to sleep in a age of only six month old.
For now my breeding feel so meningless.
She was so alive, and active with all that energi that you ecxpect a puppy to have. But the pain from the dysplasia in her hips stopped her from be a puppy. In That last week she was just laying down. I am happy that I could get the strength and go to the Vet. to end her pain.
But I will never forget that little, tiny and liveless body that I left at the Vets place. In one week I will take her ashes home and I will let her be at the fields and the forrest without pain.
I am so sorry Vera that your life only lasted six month. I miss you so much and I will never forget you.
Attachments:
I looked at your beautiful girl and shed a river of tears. Living life is not for sissies, only the tough ones endure. May the Shamrocks fall softly for Vera . We know she was met in Heaven by a lot of very special Setters and is no longer in pain. We can ask for nothing more.

Loma and Red Friends

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Gene.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service