Exclusively Setters

Home for Irish Setter Lovers Around the World

Having joined up here last week meaning to introduce myself, I then got distracted by everyone else's gorgeous red boys and girls :).

I will introduce myself and my red and follow it up with a picture or two of him.

I'm Julia, 25 years old and in Gloucestershire. I've always admired Red Setters, ever since childhood (my mother is the same about them) but either due to financial reasons or circumstances that weren't right to have a Setter, I only got my first three years ago (he was three in July :) ).

I have gone from loving the breed to totally adoring them and I can honestly say now that i would not have any other breed (terribly biased!). They are absolutely wonderful dogs and have everything, the character, the soft-as-butter temperament and the looks.

I have a three year old boy who goes by the name of Harley. I say Harley but he's been called many other things when I have discovered he has tipped up the plant pots in the garden, traipsed mud through the house, or has been found sleeping on the bed. He knows going upstairs is banned but he seems to think that ordinary rules do not apply to the wonder that is him ;).

I can honestly say he has been the most trying but most rewarding dog I have ever had. I say he is 'mine' but in truth he is my mother's. I have just done the training on him. The hard work has paid off as he has gone from an errant young pup to coming straight back to call in open spaces, sitting and waiting at roadsides, sitting and waiting until he is given permission for his food (to the point where if I call him he will come away from it) and generally being the most loving and gorgeous dog ever :o).

I've not long moved out of my parents home (financial reasons) and I miss him like mad although I do go and walk him daily. I am planning to get a Setter of my own rather than just having shared access with my mum as my life now does not feel complete without a big ginger, hairy creature doing crazy things and thrusting it's head in to my lap for love and cuddles :-D.

Anyway, enough of me, here are some pictures of 'my' ginger beast :-D.

Views: 734

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A sincere ES welcome to you also Julia & Harley. You will feel right at home now that you are amongst fellow setter devotees!

Regards,

James & Romeo.

James, thank you very much :o). I already feel well at home and it is lovely to have finally found a place where people know exactly what I'm talking about when it comes to Setters :o). I think only Setter owners truly understand what I mean when I say that they are not 'just a dog' :o).
Lois, thank you :o). Yes, I think it takes a particular type of person to have a Setter and live happily with one and I can definitely see how a love for life would help :o).

Hi Michelle :o).

Do you know, I have never had the pleasure of being a member of a more welcoming site than this, it is lovely so thank you to everyone for such a warm welcome :o).

Unfortunately, the soonest I will be getting a ginger bundle of my own will be the New Year. Although I'd love one now my circumstances are not quite right and I am not a believer in getting an animal just because I want one. The circumstances have to be right for me to provide properly so yes, hopefully the early part of 2012, I will be the proud owner of a Setter of my own :o).

Hi Julia

Well done you for thinking of your dog's needs first.  I lost my dog in Dec 2003 to cancer he was nine and a half I desperately wanted another puppy after a few months but because I was working full time I knew it wouldn't be fair for him.  Luckily I was in a position to retire early last year so started making plans then and now at last he's here I'm sure the next few months will drag for you but try and pass the time with all the lovely things you can buy for him maybe even buy a few toys and equipment now.  I found this worked for me and also saved rushing about at the last minute to get all the equipment. 

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Gene.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service