Exclusively Setters

Home for Irish Setter Lovers Around the World

I have just gotton my Irish Setter who is 1 year old, I feed him quality dry dog food but he takes a mouth and walks away from his bowl and of course drops food all over the floor. He was returned to the breeder as his owner has breast cancer and couldnt give him the time he needs.He's a great dog just a real sloppy eater, he came from a litter of 16 and I can see his mother didnt have time to teach him table manners LOL I could change his food but he really seems to like what hes on any suggestions?

Views: 674

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Paul, I use Kong Wobbler to feed my dog Eva as with a bowl she gulps everything in less then a minute. It is a KONG- shaped food dispensing feeder which sits upright until pushed with a paw or nose, then wobbles, spins and rolls, dispensing food through a hole near the top. This might help..All the best with your new companion :) 

Thanks for the reply, I'll check that out... I just love my new companion he's awesome and keeps me in my toes.
hey paul oberon is on meat diet but whatever he eats it cant be done on the bowl;) he has to pick a piece and travel around the room till his bed or spreading everything on all floor and often also in the wall;) at least you are on dry food and goood luck ha ha

I once had a dog who was pre disposed to bloat, and he would wolf his food soooo quickly.

My vet told me to spread the food around all over the floor so he couldn't bolt it so fast. I nearly changed my vet!!!!! As it happened the dear dog was so good at  'hoovering' up food from the floor, that he became the champion sausage race winner at our ringcraft end of year parties!

Have fun with your messy eater :)

Love the idea of your dog being the champion sausage race winner (",)

me too Ellen, would love to see that!!! MIne eat ok out of their bowls but drinking water is another matter altogether!!

Don't get me started on water bowls, I should just pour it straight on the floor with Elsa, but Sofie is so careful never a drop on the floor with her. Elsa on the other hand gets it in every room and over everyone :-[

Wow congratulations.... that's cool... Magick doesnt seem to !e about the food on the floor....he likes me to hand feed him lol but I dont want to create a monster. I would love to know whats going through his mind.... if I stand by his bowel he does better but he not a chow hound he eats a little here then hes off to explore but I love him

Wow congratulations.... that's cool... Magick doesnt seem to !e about the food on the floor....he likes me to hand feed him lol but I dont want to create a monster. I would love to know whats going through his mind.... if I stand by his bowel he does better but he not a chow hound he eats a little here then hes off to explore but I love him

Well the water bowl is another issue his mother I know had her paws full with 16 puppies but i wish she would have taught him some table manners LoL I feel like a sailor with my mop when he drinks. Heres a link to his litter mates so you can see why his mother didnt have time lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jaowliI8ZA&sns=em ;

Oh Wow Paul they are gorgeous! what a busy little bunch and how on earth did you pick ONE!! Which one was yours by the way? I can see why you have your work cut out now!! lol! I love number 16 bless..always a sucker for the baby one me!

Magick is one of the two with a brown collar he is the bigger one in the very end he is number 2.  Here is how I ended up with him. I found the breeder Rose and we were talking on the phone for several hours and one thing she told me was when you buy a puppy from me you sign  a contract you will never give your dog up if you have to She wants him back so she knows he has a good home. I told her I would never give my dog up and she told me she only had just taken one of her dogs back as his owner has Breast cancer and she couldnt give him the time he needs. Well just two weeks before a friend of mine and my wifes died of Breast Cancer so when I heard this it struck a note with me. So I asked Rose to tell me more about him which she did, he just turned a year old and was a very good dog. She and I talked about him and I told her as much as I wanted to get one of her puppies that were just born I wanted to adopt him and give him a good home. So she was coming up to Portland to ship a puppy to Flordia for a family whos son was hurt bad in Iraq so she told me if I really wanted him she  would bring him up which she did and we have bonded and he is awesome. I love him and am so glad I could give him a good safe home with lots of room to run and play and we train every day which has been awesome. Rose has send me all his baby pictures so while he wasnt with me I feel like I have had him since he was a puppy. 

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Gene.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service