Exclusively Setters

Home for Irish Setter Lovers Around the World

I've been advised to take Bess to Southampton for the hip scores to be done (or X-rays taken to be more precise).

But 'Southampton' is pretty vague - does anyone have any more precise details about where I should go?

Views: 1737

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have met Bess on Saturday and she is not of a nervous disposition but a rather normal Irish Setter Bitch. Trish wanted to make sure there was nothing wrong with her hips before making any decision about breeding. Temperament is of course important when considering breeding, but having met Bess I did not notice any shyness or nervousness, in fact I was able to handle her within 5 mns of meeting her.

Lol!  You should have seen Bess outside the service station on the way home on Saturday.  Whilst waiting for my OH to come back out a whole coach load of football fans came past - some chanting loudly - and a number of the men came over to stroke Bess.  She just lapped up all the attention.  I don't think she could be described as a nervous bitch then even though the crowd was very noisy and exuberant. 

Bess has calmed down considerably since her season which I was told at the show on Saturday had happened to someone else's bitch. 

Of course temperament is a large part of breeding, and just because I've had Bess's hips scored doesn't necessarily mean that I'll go down that route anyway.  What it means is that I don't have to rule out breeding from her.  I fully plan to she how she shapes up all round - and of course, any breeding plans would be a long way off and would also depend on my personal circumstances at the time. 

For the record, Bess has never bitten a judge ( I think we'd have been thrown out the ring) and never bitten me unless you count puppy nips.

Well done Trish, sounds like you are going forward. I know a lot of people show their dogs for some years and breed from them at about 4 years. So yes you have lots of time to get placed a few times before you decide if or not you want to breed from Bess. Give lovely Bess a hugg from me <:0).

PS donn`t forget I asked about one of her puppy first, so three years time would be just about right.

Bit of poetic licence to raise a smile.  I'll be more careful in the future.  :0)

I do seriously agree that temperament is very important, and I know that showing Bess is mainly what I talk about on here.  Bess is the first IS I've had, and the first bitch.  It's quite a learning curve, and I admire anyone who takes up the challenge of an IS as a first dog! 

What I will say though is that I've never had such a loving and affectionate breed - she's the first dog I've owned that my long suffering husband has fallen in love with during our 25 years of marriage. 

I love your creative license! Makes me chuckle...keep the stories coming. And I think temperament and behavior are different. And a dog with test the limits until they understand what's expected of them...and maybe even then! lol   She's maturing and socializing, and like you said, you're just getting your ducks in a row for the possible future. Good Luck to you both in all of your endeavors. : )

I agree.....temperament (mainly calm because I wasn't even concerned about aggressive with an IS) was one of the first criteria I looked for when deciding on the breeder and bloodline with my boy.  I'm just saying, that what we post when we're exasperated, may not give a well rounded picture of our dog's temperament. : ) Catherine Carter has met Bess and watched her in the ring and said she's quite stable. I've never met her but I'm sure Trish will take all of the "temperament advice" into strong consideration when/if she decides to breed. I used to have Rottweilers, one bitch I bred twice; one bitch I didn't even consider it with. She was from a different bloodline from the first and just didn't have the same temperament, so I know what you're saying.

I think behaviour at shows is a difficult environment in which to assess temperament.  I've had a number of people say to me that they had to retire dogs from the show ring as the stress of that environment made them behave badly.

Biting is different from mouthing.  Bess ceased puppy biting at 16 weeks - I remember as I recorded the fact on another forum as I suddenly realised I was able to cuddle my pup without being treated like a chew toy :0)

I can absolutely trust Bess, even in stressful situations.  Because of her black claws I cannot clip them myself.  She hates it, and I get nervous about cutting the quick, so it's easier for me to take her to the vets or the groomer to get it done.  The vet nurses and the groomer cut her nails without problems. 

I'm sure we all know how the beauty of IS's attracts attention - even though Bess is not sure what little humans are, and moves closer to me for reassurance, I have no worries about any child coming to stroke her.  She'll react by leaning on me, but not by any behaviour I would be worried about.  I find waiting outside the café at the Wood Green animal shelter she seems to be a magnet for little hands - some of whom ask politely if they can stroke the dog, and some of whom are straight in there (even with parents about!).  It would never cross my mind that Bess would do anything she shouldn't as not for one second has she ever shown any aggression - towards anything!

Even if she finds the most interesting thing to chew (which for some odd reason seems to be my spectacles cleaning cloth at the moment) I can take it out of her mouth without even thinking she would attempt to stop me.  In fact, last night she got hold of the an easter egg wrapper and my son calmly opened her jaws and shook it out. 

I therefore wholeheartedly agree that seeing a dog at a show for a short while is not the way to make an accurate assessment of a dog's temperament.  A dog, whether a show dog or not, is a pet first and foremost, and how it behaves in the home and outside world is a far better measurement of temperament.

Well said Trish, and the point that I was trying to get across is a) someone who has met you both can certainly assess the situation more accurately than we forum members that never have. b)some young dogs develope issues with "balance" that come from his environment as opposed to "temperment", and can be corrected. ie: fear of certain things...
We should be at liberty to write about our dogs' antics and if we say that we may have exaggerated a bit or that something has been resolved, then let's take them at their word, wish them well and move on. :)

I am getting sick and tired of this!! Cyber stalking now???? Another dog forum?

I am starting to wish I had never joined this one. Many many nice people, but some decidedly odd ones.

My dog. My life. My business.
Actually before I leave this ill just set the record straight about Bess and children. The girls at the stables aged ten and above take her off me when I go down there with great joys on both sides.

Bess has not been exposed to young children so their noises and unpredictable movements make her unsure, so she moves to me for reassurance. I would have NO concerns about her ever showing aggression. I would trust her 100% not to bite, and she has never growled. I would let them feed her as she's the most gentle dog I've ever known.

As Maggie has admitted I did not say she had bitten a judge. Unfortunately my light hearted comments were taken out of place. I have heard of a dog of another breed which did, at about eight months old, bite a judge and was reported to the kennel club.

Please cease this slander (or is it libel on a forum?)

Well said Jocely. " live and let live "

Here here Jocelyn. Haven't met the little girl yet but sounds positively normal and Trish has a sense of humour which shows in her writing which I for one enjoy. NB she sounds a very sensible, responsible person and will undoubtedly make a fine breeder if and when she takes the plunge.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Gene.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service