Exclusively Setters

Home for Irish Setter Lovers Around the World

My boy Seamus bloated up Tuesday after lunch and thankfully I was home to recognize the symptoms so we rushed him to the emergency vet where they untwisted his stomach and performed a gastropexy.  I think we were lucky and caught it very quickly as the stomach was a nice pink color, there was no necrosis and the spleen appeared fine.  He came home today and as you can imagine, I'm still in a bit of shock.  I've always made sure my two don't eat until an hour after our walks and no play after meals.  He'll be on pain meds for 7 days and a stomach coating (sulcrate) for 5.

What can I expect going forward? He'll be 4 in January but the emerg vet tech that he should still live a long life after this.

Has anyone's dog ever experienced GDV a second time after a gastropexy? This to me is my major worry.  The surgeon said bloat is still possible but it wouldn't be life threatening because of the gastropexy.

Views: 3241

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you Cornelia and Susan! 

I was lucky all turned ok. Don't know what would I do without her. How absolutely dreadful you lost your boy, Susan. Yes, Cornelia, the new year can only get better from now on :-)

I forgot to say: the vets did gastropexy so bloat can not repeat. Thanx God for that.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Gene.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service