Exclusively Setters

Home for Irish Setter Lovers Around the World

In the last week, there have been 8-10 members that have been complaining about each other.  I have removed a couple people from the site, but most of the comments presented seem pretty benign to me.

When I created this site, I had no idea what it would become.  I quickly learned how little I knew about Irish Setters even though I had owned them for 15 years.  I am not a breeder, don't do shows, don't do agility, don't do hunting or field, usually get rescues (exception being my current ones).  I think all of the above are great, I just don't know anything about them nor do I really care to.  It's obvious these are topics that people on this site are passionate about, and that's great, there just not for me.

As I have mentioned before, I left this site because people were rude to me.  There's at least 1 of the 8-10 members that were one of the ones who ran me off so I can understand the complaints against this peson.

It seems like some of these discussion topics are like politics, you aren't going to change people's minds, so why try to?

Have been pondering some options:

A. Ban the other 8-10 members

B. Leave the site as is

C. Remove the discussion forum altogether

D. Transition ownership and moderation to someone else (note annual costs on the site are around $300 USD and those would transfer as well)

E. Ban any discussions on breeding, health issues, or other controversial topics

F. Shut down the site altogether (really don't want to do this)

What are some other ideas?

I want to get feedback on other ideas and then you are going to vote as a community.  Please reply with any suggestions, then will create another thread to vote later this week.

Thanks,

Gene

Views: 9657

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi gene, I realy enjoy this site and would miss it if you were to close it. I dont know what the answer is and feel sorry for you. One surjestion if you want ideas is, to make the person who starts a discussion responsible for keeping an eye on the replies and closing it without notice if posts get personal.

I can understand your dilemma Gene. I was thrilled to find ES at the time because I thought it would be a great place to learn more about my beloved breed (I've had for 39 years). Sadly it seems that the most important issues are the ones that cause the most aggravation. I didn't contribute much because I worried about being criticised by those more confident in their opinions than I am, but I read everything.

Therefor I would miss the site very much if you decide to close it, but I think in the circumstances I would do just that if I were in your shoes.  Thanks for providing a site Exclusively for Setters for these past few years, it was a great idea but unforunately it just didn't work. So Sad and sorry.

Best wishes and kind regards, Dawn R.

A few months ago you had proposed a code of Ethics to be followed by the members....what happened to this?
It would be a pity to have to close a site with over 2000 members just because of a few trouble makers. I always understood this site was to be for Irish Setters lovers and their stories......I feel things tend to deteriorate when some members start dictating their viewpoints . I would prefer the tone to remain civil even during serious conversations.

I cannot get into my site to put picture on,or anything    and there are no interesting discussions ,and replies from knowledgeable people, just the same old thing going round in circles.   Now its my turn to be voted off..

But l think we are entitled to know why and by whom, or is it a Kangaroo court?

Well said June......the backstabbing has got to stop!

I agree with you June. xx

I totally agree Catherine

Gene, is there an option to stop certain people from posting temporarily if they persist in personal attacks, without removing them permanently? Time out to cool off?
I would be sorry to see this group close ; there have been some good topics for discussion in the past, and thats mainly what I read ES for, dont really bother to read all the who won what . Without the discussions, ES would have no point for me. Meanwhile I'm reluctant to post at all until all this personal stuff and bickering stops

I agree with you Margaret. Gene, can't you find a couple of moderators to control the forum topics?

I agree Margaret...the personal attacks by a few are ruining this site for some very knowledgeable people like yourself, Henk and Susan Stone to name but a few.

2361-8/10 sounds sensible to me:)

Can I ask Eva what you mean by your latest comment?

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Gene.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service