Exclusively Setters

Home for Irish Setter Lovers Around the World

Just out of curiosity, are there any others here who do either Therapy Dog work or Freestyle Dance work with their Setters?

Views: 144

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not me, Gina, but they are both great activities, well suited to an Irish Setter!
I've never seen Freestyle in real life, only on screen, but it's really cool. Must be fun with a setter, with their sense of enjoyment and humor! I have two left feet myself though, so teaching me to dance would be harder than teaching your dog!
Therapy work is wonderful also. I wish I had the time to try it all with my dogs. Unfortunately, I'm spread too thin already, trying to learn too many new things at once (and mastering none of them, lol). My goals for now are conquering the breed ring, learning more about field, and getting as far as I can in obed. When I hear about freestyle, agility, rally.......... I want to do it all, but I know I can't.
Your profile photo is great! Any video clips????
Joan Clancy
My older Setter, Heart, could not do a lot of athletic moves in Freestyle, but she was the epitome of elegance. Ruby, my young field girl, is the one who makes everyone smile due to her unrestrained enthusiasm. Grace is not her or my, middle name, however. We are comic relief only! Right now we are working on a routine to Popular Mechanics for Lovers. When it is semi done, I'll try to see how to get it up on line.
Therapy dog work is so rewarding. We do about 8 group visits a month, along with compassionate one on one visits. Ruby and I don't make each visit, but we do the best we can. I also teach about 6 Therapy Dog Workshops a year so we do a bit of traveling for those.
It's awesome!
Gina, we do have quite a few Irish Setters in our country doing work as therapy dogs. A friend of mine who owns a bitch I bred regularly visits handicapped children, she also takes 'Bryony' to visit children's playschool or kindergarten. Bryony is a trained Therapy Dog and shows off little tricks and enjoys being fussed - they do a great job helping children overcome their fear of dogs & learn how to react correctly.
I'd love to watch freestyle, but I don't think there is any being done in my area at all. I just can't see myself trying it, but it would be great to see in person.

I haven't done any obedience work with Chester, so therapy work with him is also out of the question. I've always been happy to just make sure that he comes when I call him and will sit or down on command. He is actually not much of a "people person" either. He has no interest in being pet by anyone other than myself.
Interesting topic. I am showing my igorance on freestyle dance although i sounds very cool. I would love to see a video of it.

I have thought about therapy work before. One of my dogs that passed last year, would have been perfect for it. He thought everyone he passed needed to pet him. Plus, he did this flip back thing with his paws like a Budweiser Clydesdale. It was the funniest prance and immediately endeared him to people. My current two dogs are not socialized around people enough. Maybe one day...

How do you go about getting a dog certified as a therapy dog?
The most well-known pair is Carolyn Scott & Rookie (a golden retreiver) and you can see some of their performances at you tube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqbVbPvlDoM

I love watching these two together.
Mavis, I saw this one ages ago...and it was even better this time around!!!!!!!
The backwards is the bit that gets me the most. I can back mine at a distance, but nothing like that speed and nothing like that long distance.
Superp!
Susan Stone posted that we have quite a few Irishes doing therapy dog work in our country. That we do - with good reason.Such excellent temperaments and willingness to greet all! Only an Irish can make everyone feel so special!
I do teach two day Therapy Dogs 101 Workshops around the country and test through Therapy Dogs International. We have one coming up the fsecond weekend in December in Boxford MA. But we are also having our first annual Cape Cod Therapy Dog Christmas party on December 2, in honor of those committed handlers and dogs!
The freestyle dance routine with Carolyn and Rookie is the most well known, thanks to the power of the Internet. There is a lesser known video clip that was around of a younger woman and her Aussie, doing Freestyle as a dressage team. It brings tears to your eyes, the incredible team work. Ruby and I have not had a chance yet to make a video clip, although it is on my list of things to do. We are working on a routine now to a song called Popular Mechanics for Lovers. We're also working on our group routine to the Blues Brothers. It is certainly fun and entertaining.
When we perform in front of nursing home residents or school kids, they get such a kick out of each dog. One dog in our group who was a dog dominant boxer, looks forward to seeing her buddies each week. Her and her owner do a Spanish routine to a Shakiera song. Another woman with a toy poddle does a routine to Singing in the Rain. Another woman does a great routine with a Italian Greyhound/ Beagle X. Ruby and I are not in it for the graceful look, but for the laughter we get from the crowd. Sometimes the poor dog looks at me as if to say she would prefer another person to dance with! Gina
The most fabulous, fantastic, out-of-this-world etc etc performance I ever saw of Heelwork to Music (US: freestyle dance) is by Mary Ray, GB. I saw one of her live performances at Crufts (the Glenn Miller routine) and was moved to tears. Have a look at her website under http://www.maryray.co.uk/
OK... she works Border Collies, not Setters....
Absolutly totally brilliant Susan!
Susan and Ursula,
Mary Ray is very very good! Some of her performances are awe-inspiring! As soon as I have time I will try to find the video that has the younger woman with her Aussie. It is just so inspiring. Every time I watch different videos I certainly learn and all of our dogs amaze us, even those non-Setters!
We are in the midst of planning our first annual Cape Cod Therapy Dog group Christmas get-together. I'm working up special awards to be given to those dedicated handlers and dogs who visit and bring such joy to others in need. Love our dogs!
Gina, I would love to watch the Aussie-video, when you can find it...

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Gene.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service