Exclusively Setters

Home for Irish Setter Lovers Around the World

I recently wrote an article for the swedish kennel club magazine that entailed how we handle competition. You know...its fun just being in it, no need to win it. Thinking about this aspect seriously, I came to the conclusion that I actually know of NO SINGLE DOG-PERSON that thinks like that. I certainly know that I want to win EVERY time and will for instance never go to an obediance-competition if I am not prepared enough and stand a very good chance of winning.
Then there are levels of winning of course. When it comes to shows, you can set your sights on being placed or on BOB or even BIS (if your dog is good enough).

My question is: Is there anyone out there, on this worldwide settersite that HONESTLY can say "Its just fun to be in it..." when it comes to competing in any form or shape?
Like how fun CAN it be "just to be in it?"

Please let me know!

Views: 85

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I can see there is a far greater difference between obediance and the showring than I realised. Perhaps also due to the fact that we dont normally have two-day events, we dont travel as far (dont stay overnight) and we certainly dont eat together...no more than the occasional hot-dog.
Perhaps obediance is more of a focused sport. The champion-class program with FCI-rules is pretty long and takes a lot of concentration.
I think we are all more of a non-social crowd at the compertitions. I have yet to see people sitting at an obediance compertition, having picknicks by the ringside. Even at the yearly champion of champions, its basically just pure concentration. Even from the on-lookers.

Reading this back...we sound such a stiflingly boring lot!
You are right. When I showed a dog in obedience I don't remember making friends with the other obedience people. I went ,I showed my dog, I left. But with the conformation ring we set up together, we share things like our generators which we take to shows so we can have power to blow out our dogs after wetting them down.

We are really hung up on showing dogs that are freshly bathed and blow out I'm afraid. Anyway we put our grooming tables in rolls and visit while grooming and preparing the dogs, share snacks, laugh and read dog magazines. Its like having a picnic with friends.

I have more dog show good friends than I have friends in my daily work life. I think we are a very social group of people and although most of us are competing agains each other we do try to work together.

Most of our shows are two or three day shows, so that is nice that we can set up our x-pens, crates, grooming tables, generators, shade tents and make "camp" for the long weekend. Its a lot of work but still so much fun.

Loma and Red Gang
In most European countries it is forbidden to do anything more than brushing a dog at the show. You are not allowed to use anything on the coat except water and definitely not blow dry a dog. This all has to be done before the show.
alenka
but despite this, you can see it more and more often, just take a walk to the newfoundland, husky or golden ring...
the rule is like this: "No dog whose coat, nose or skin has been treated with substances intended to change the colour or texture thereof may be exhibited. This includes the use of colorants, hair spray, gel, mousse, chalk, talcum powder etc. Only preparations which are clearly intended to aid combing/brushing (conditioner/conditioning spray) and/or reduce static electricity may be used on an otherwise untreated coat prior to exhibition."
AKC rules state the dog is not to have any foreign substance in its coat, but the judges let the exhibitors get away with it. I believe they don't want to make "waves" by dismissing the top winning poodle because its hair is standing on end with a whole can of hair spray in it.

Come to a American Dog Show and you'd be amazed at the dying that is done, the powders put on the coat, the eyeliner drawn on, the grooming that is done. I don't see any problem with wetting down a dog and blowing them out, but adding coloring really bothers me.

I can't imagine how the pee coats smell if you don't wet them down and clean them up each day of the show. They would break off over time.

I've heard dog show people say they do think its a SHOW and the dog needs its show makeup. That's stretching it a bit for me. A clean coat is one thing, a enhanced coat is another.

Loma, USA

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Gene.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service