Exclusively Setters

Home for Irish Setter Lovers Around the World

Baylee is 10 mos. old and since he is a pet with many behavioral problem I plan on having neutered next month. My concern is this, is there anyway supplements oor whatever to prevent his hair color or texture from changing, please any suggestion.

Views: 1570

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Kay,
Remember as well Baylee will be up to five time the normal testosterone levels from maybe as young as six months which I found in my boy to spike and then lessen for a short while, this will go on till he is around 18 months. That on top of normal adolescent does not help working a young dog. I think he is feeding off your emotions as well
With regards to the car lunging take it slowly maybe get friends with cars in your driveway and Baylee on a loose leash lots of rewards just walking past them while they are stationary then moving slowly and turn him away as soon as you see the slightest reaction till finally you can walk him past calmly, sing a song to keep yourself calm or similar I'm sure gradually this will work then on to a very quiet road and so on. My pup did the same thing took me by surprise don't know why he's full of tricks the monkey.
Hi Kay, that's the trouble we always think each dog we get will be as easy as the last one unfortunately it doesn't work that way.
Gun dogs as you know are very mouthy it is in the genetics,your pup is now hit adolescent right bang in the middle of it. I wonder what upsets him on lead is it too tight to short and his fear/ flight is kicking in. I would take a toy with me when I have him out to redirect him from bitting you to play.
My young dog is just 17 months and very mouthy and so darn smart, I have kept up the gentle word and just stand still and quiet if he gets over excited it takes a while as he still tries it on but gives up in the end to boring for him.
I wish you could find a good trainer I feel he is trying to get one over you and get a reaction it seems to be working. How much exercise does he get a tired dog is a happy one. Twice a day walks needn't be long and a play in the middle might work wonders.

Hi Kay.....I would use the money you are planning to spend on having Baylee neutered on a good trainer.

I have met many young dogs who have been described by their owners as extremely naughty or aggressive. 

After having meetings with the dogs and their owners, I usually find that the dog is not nearly as out of control as the owner thinks and with a few one-to-one lessons both dog and owner are back on track and life is better for both.

I believe castration should always be a last resort and even then, please don't think it will bring about instant changes in yours dogs behaivour.

I fogot to add - dogs are far cleverer than many people give them credit for, so much so, they learn very quickly how to use various behaviours because of the rewards and attention they receive when they display them.  Rewards come in many forms which is why I suggest you get in touch with a good trainer who will guide you in the right direction and help you to solve problems and build a better relationship with Baylee.

Neutering is unlikely to put a stop to this kind of nipping. There are probably other reasons for this.  Not just saying this from a behaviourist point of view, but from a setter owner too.

It really depends on what these behavioural issues are as to whether neutering will work or not. The behaviour will have to have an over production of testosterone as its cause for this to be effective. Many people neuter their dogs when the problem isn't behavioural at all, but are really training issues and then are disappointed. I have a list of questions I give people before deciding whether neutering would be the correct route to help with certain issues.  If anyone is uncertain about this and would rather not neuter, I suggest the Suprelorin implant first. This lasts for about 9 months, and suppresses testoterone via the pituitary gland.  If at the end of 9 months you have noticed no change in behaviour, then hormones are not the issue.  Some vets try to convince people to allow them to inject Tardak into their dogs instead. I would not recommend that at all, as it can have dramatic behavioural changes, but in the wrong direction!

Assuming the problems are hormonal and  you do have him neutered. A good species appropriate diet, good omega 3's from a good quality fish (krill is best),  and maybe some digestive enzymes along with investing in a coat king should keep the fluff and wool at bay.  Weight normally increases around 3 months post neutering and can creep up on you without you noticing.  I would reduce food intake by about 1/3 around about that time, as the metabolism does slow down.  However, I do know of an IS who has lost weight since neutering as well as looking like a woolly mammoth, so weight gain doesn't always follow.

Hi Kay, please persevere with Baylee i had alot of problems with Murfee as a puppy he's now one and a half.  I was so worried that if i'd  had a young child in the house i'm not sure that i would have kept him.  I noticed when I met up in the park with a couple of dog trainers/walkers that he listened intently and obeyed their every command so i realised at that point that i needed to be alot firmer with him.  He knows now that if he growls, bites or grumbles when i'm at home i don't say anything i just leave the room and shut the door leave him for a few minutes.  Through the closed door i shout sit in a firm voice and open the door if he's not sitting i close the door again if he is i say good boy.   When i'm out if he's naughty, ie he used to be quite happy walking along and would then suddenly lunge at me and bite me.  He doesn't do this anymore and what stopped it was shaking the lead at him (heavy leather training lead)it sounds simple but it worked and if he continued i put him on the lead and did some training, sit, heel if he got distracted i flicked the lead and said heel in a firm voice. The tone of your voice makes such a difference.  Like you i didn't know that setters could be like this as my previous dog never  mouthed or bit me.  We got a trainer to come to our home and we realised at that point that it was us that needed to change be firm with him and you'll end up with a wonderful dog like Murfee who now 'spins on a sixpence' when we call him and sits at our feet (no treats anymore).  Good luck

Kay please stop medication, forget about neutering your young dog as it will not work, and do not think that all his "particularities" are systematically a behavioural problem - not at that age. My humble suggestion is that your Baylee needs to meet a good trainer, have a lot but really a lot of exercises and learn desirable behaviour by revising every situations that can trigger such a reaction, including his food. It is very difficult to do that ourselves, I couldn't, we are full of good will but please let some "experts" help you. Your Bailee is a very special little man, he will be your beloved pet, no doubt, but for some reason he got the wrong start.

Pls. See my last note. At this point he is going to stay on a med until we can work through his panic attacks or anxiety. Believe me when I say I do not want him on meds and I look forward to the day I can take him off of it. I do not want a docile IS just one who remains at a level of 4 to 6 instead when he is in his panic mode of10+++. It makes my heart sad to see him in this state and I want to help him so much. You see, I LOVE my companion and I would do almost anything to get him through this and does not mean giving him up!
Thank you to all of your advice and suggestions, I do appreciate them. That said, after all the reading and talking with his breeder I have come to the conclusion that the possible benefits does not out weight the major problem in his growth plates and possible health problems. So, until he has finished growing at age two his balls are saved. NOW, I am open to suggestions on specific training, as the usual training techniques do not work on him to correct his lunging, biting, excessive barking and chasing cars. Thank you again, I look forward to your helpful advice on training.
Hello Kay, our fur kids, like children can break our hearts at times. I'm not a great trainer or anything like that but can say that one of my litter sisters Ruby is extremely fearful of cars and public places. I have had the both now for 12 months to the day and it's a constant battle! Someone on ES did mention a head halter, they definitely can help and it would be worth ago. I'm fortunate I have a wonderful family who come with me to large public places where we have coffee and meet and greet people. My boy on the other hand, is a social butterfly and adores people, noise and everything in between ;)) . Saying that, is there someone you can walk with that has a calm and very outgoing dog of any breed? Please I'm no professional but I have fostered for the RSPCA here and I can tell you 90% have problems :) I believe they all do eventually calm down and like you I won't give up either as I adore the pair of nut bags I have. And Ruby has really settled with cars since I exposed her to them more. All the very best Kay, hang in there. Dianne and Red Kids
Thank you on my way to ordering them!

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Gene.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service