Home for Irish Setter Lovers Around the World
Have to say I know how frightening it is when your dog goes through this, my old girl Jinty had an allergy to stinging insects, wasps and bees seemed to make a 'B' line for her, she would come up in lumps about the size of half an egg.
With the first she was very ill and I did not at first associate her illness/ lethargy and low blood count with the sting, the vet was puzzled, then I remembered the sting and asked if that was what was wrong with her and she was given steroids and made a full recovery she had a number of steroid injections, like you I was worried in case she had a massive reaction apart from the first attack fortunately she never did.
It was only later that I discovered that there was the alternative treatment anti histamine/ piriton it never entered my head that this would treat dogs as well as humans! I bought it in 'bulk' from the pharmacy and carried it with me throughout the summer in case she was stung, and found it to be a very successful alternative to the vet!
Jinty went on to almost 16 years of age, she developed 'cushings syndrome' at age eight and may or may not have been a direct effect of her having being treated with long term steroids - it couldn't be proved one way or the other, the general opinion from breeders is that it was a significant contribution and an opinion that my vet couldn't disprove!.
Have to say Rio charged in the house yesterday rubbing his head and shaking - checked him over , no swelling but am sure he had been stung, almost went into panic mode thinking 'oh, no not again' kept an eye on him until he settled down, no ill effects and back to his normal self very quickly!.
Will have to get in a supply of piriton just in case - better to err on the side of caution!.
Hope everything turns out well for you.
Pitanga has a terrible reaction to a sting, but I have no idea what it is, so just to be safe I always keep a steroid injection at home for her, just in case. We also have steroids and anti-histaminic tablets at home since both me and my mom have serious allergies sometimes. It's always a stress when one of my dogs gets all "sharpei" on me, and we get at least two every summer. I have found that ice helps in my dogs. It does not take the swelling down, but it prevents it from spreading and they seem to find it very soothing.
If I'm going for a walk that is more than 15 min away from home or a vet, I'll take the steroids with me, one can never be too careful, specially in Spring and Summer months. Then I always have anti-histaminic pills - enough for either me or one of the dogs!
Sorry I am late to the discussion but I have had a weekend in Belgium via France.
I had a dog who as a puppy his eye teeth weren't quite right,he had an appointment at a veterinary dentist but before I took him he came in from the garden with a swollen muzzle.It was solid and Joan and I presumed he had been stung.I took him straight to his consultation and the vet thought it was a wasp sting ,advised piriton and gave him an injection as a precaution.He was fine but I also bought a bulk supply of piriton for future use.It works! I think you have to be careful that the dog's vital signs are all right because dogs can go into shock from a sting as we do (and I do!)
When we had Lizzie she loved catching wasps and would sit outside by the ivy, which the wasps seemed to love, and catch them.After she had been stung she learnt to beat them down with her paws then eat them.We tried to stop her but never succeeded.Oddly her arthritis always improved after eating wasps!
The same dog would also dig for England and adored eating snails.We were unaware of the risks of snails then and she never came to any harm.
My (elderly) father has arthritis... I wonder if he could be convinced to try a wasp stew!! :P
It's reassuring to hear that the Piriton works... now my main worry is him ever being stung when I'm not home to notice it...
© 2023 Created by Gene. Powered by