Exclusively Setters

Home for Irish Setter Lovers Around the World

I'd appreciate input from experienced breeders on the tests that are now available or will be soon available so new comers to the breed can learn from you.

Views: 79

Replies to This Discussion

OFA or PennHip for CHD, some do elbow.
Eye checks for PPC, but UK is working on getting a DNA test for this, just not sure how long it will be.
vWD, there is a DNA test available in UK , Lab in USA is working on getting us a DNA test also, I hope it will be soon.
Full thryoid panel.
I have seen some breeders check heart,
This is about what parent club recommends, minus heart check and elbows [have not heard of any cases]...
Should have added CLAD ?? I presume all stock of pure bred IRWS has been DNA tested and therefor clear by pedigree. Here in the USA we started testing in 2000. Of course a MUST if your dogs are not deemed clear by pedigree....
Ch.
Thanks! For Emerald Deb McNay was able to show me on the Irish website the list of dogs tested clear. All of Emerald's lines lead to dogs tested clear. But for Rylee's sire, KLN Ned Devine I don't know where to look to find out if the American imports are clear? Is there a list available?
Hi Wendy
Can't add much to Christina's list of testing - DNA and others. You can see UK test results on the IRWSCGB website - we give all results the clear, affected and carrier.
You may know that the GB Club is conducting a breed survey to get an estimate of the life-span of the breed along with other data. We have had a good response from the US & Canada as well, which, I think, indicates that you would like some sort of information collecting set-up over there. We will publish an analysis of the returns as soon as possible.
Anyone with IRWS from UK bred stock will easily be able to trace the health history of their ancestors by reference to the GB Club'd Genetic Sub-Committee.
The IRWSCGB website is at: www.irishredandwhitesetterclub.com - and test results are in the 'Downloads' section.
Hi Wendy,
just seen this post [mature age, missed it]. Really difficult to get data on American bred and born, unless when tested results had been send to Ann M and I think she has a listing for foreign CLAD DNA tested dogs, you may want to check.
Only other source, track breeders of each and ask....
Major testing for CLAD took place in 2000, but do to split in IRWS community, some did not test with PennState, some other program was used, which I do not know much about.
We do know USA had a few carriers, with some breeders not testing at all [ :-(( scary]..
I can possibly help you locate names of breeder/owners to see if you can get results. If all fails, you may need to test to rule out. Runs about $140 at VetGen.....

Christina
Thanks, we tracked it and we know that Emerald is clear by pedigree. I just have to track down the info on Rylee's sire and Abigail's dam, working on it. If I can't get the info I'll just test them, no problem.
Sheebhin Bruno Rev. Daniel Herlihy

Redwing Lady Baltimore breeder is Jean Plummer, she should have info..

Peckham's Rye Bruno's Fyre 'N' Ice, have little hope you will get info from breeder, they are no longer in business.

If you do not have e-mail info, I can send you privatly.
Bellavanti Bobby Dazler Of Autumnwood you can possible check UK date of parents etc.

Caitlin of Dair, Richard Knoster is the breeder here in USA

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Gene.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service