Exclusively Setters

Home for Irish Setter Lovers Around the World

Why have you decided to get another one to the first existing dog?

Would love to hear your stories about the decision of getting a second dog!

Views: 128

Replies to This Discussion

Dee what a wonderful message, thank you so much!!!
You put things so clearly, to my great amazement you have cleared my nebulous mind about having a second dog now and it definitively helped me to take a decision. I do not mind about the cleaning up after the new baby (I hate cleaning my house but have no problem to clean up after a dog...) nor the quick upsets following their destruction phase or testing everything especially my precious carpets. Walking one or two will not make a difference either and David is sharing the pleasure, especially at night or during cold rainy days. I think I was more concerned about not having the possibility to bound with them the same way I did with MC. May be MC was special and I should not assume that it should be always the case with all my dogs. Reading your message I realised that I was convinced my dog will suffer from having a new brother or sister, but MC although not particularly over the moon at the beginning, never showed any signs of being against...
Many thanks Dee, now I know I will have another wee pup next year. My next challenge will be to decide between a boy or a girl!!!!! but first I want to find a breeder with very healthy dogs.
A huge thank you again Dee.
One is good but two is better! We have two boys...
hm hm, i have three now, may i stay in this group? :-)))
Of course, Laura!

When I got my first english setter I already had a 7 year old collie cross called Connor. I had recently moved house and Con was taking a while to adjust and was alone alot more. I bought Legolas as company for him and because I always wanted several dogs. Two years later I ended up buying another english setter, Theoden.

Con was 9 and showing early signs of arthritis, he adored Lego but just wasn't going to be able to keep up with a loopy high-energy youngster, so I bought Theoden as a friend for Legolas and they are the best of friends. Connor passed away in March aged 14, he never really bonded as closley to Theoden...maybe the age gap was just too big. My two setter boys though would be lost without each other and have great fun and they've never argued in all their years together.

I went for one, thinking that I would get a springer as my second dog - think two good company for each other, also easier to exercise.  While picking one, I got the chance to get a second.  Never regretted it, its great to see them playing together.  Like some others I could fancy a third

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Gene.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service