Exclusively Setters

Home for Irish Setter Lovers Around the World

Does anyone know why dog's noses can change from black to an ugly brown during the winter months? Is there anything I can do to stop it happening (well, apart from using black shoe polish, that is;-))
I am sure it comes from lack of sunishine during the winter but I also assume there is a genetic component. Erin & Glen (mother & son) are affected, but usually not Shannon and Bramble.
I remember a judge once telling me to feed tomatoe puree to the dogs for good pigment - but I never really believed this. Does anyone know more?

Views: 975

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

OK, looks like we just have to put up with it!
I am a member of an e-mail group for people who are interested in hereditary things. There is a lot of discusson about colors mostly, and of course there has also been discussion about irish setter. One color professional said, that this winter nose is just something that just belongs to the color, ee-yellow. I will try to translate some of the text.

"Irish Setter is unusually red to be an ee-dog, but basicly it is just common "yellow". It just belongs to this color, that the nose that is of good color as a puppy, comes lighter when adult, especially during winter. This seasonal changes propably has something to do with the sun, because in more sunny, warmer countries ee-dogs nose stays black more often around the year."

So that's it. Some people say to feed carrot or seaweed, but I have actually never heard that tomato might help. We have winter noses also, some more and some less.
Hi Katriina,

Thanks for your input - that makes sense to me! I know the Golden Retriever is also a typical candidate for 'winter nose'. But it does seem that some dogs never have a problem. I'd be interested to know what lines these 'black-nose-all-the year-round-setters' come from... I believe some lines carry more pigment than others.

An Irish Setter living in Finland who has a black nose all the year round would really be something special! Wheras an Irish Setter in Florida with a brown nose would get me worried...:-)
I have just returned from a brisk walk by the sea and met a friend of mine with her terriers. She remarked on one of my dogs "winternose" and we started talking about noses. Her Terriers must have a black nose of course and can not get away with our winterbrowns...
She told me that she fed a lot of dried tripe to build up the black...
I dont know if this can possibly do anything, but at least the dogs love it and it may be worth a try...

Saves you a trip to those warm and sandy beaches...with palms gently swaying and drinks being served out of a fresh cocanut!
:-)
my girls get dried tripe every day... and still getting brown noses...
what is "a lot"? :-) maybe the quantity makes the difference.
The "terrier-woman" and I were discussing this fact...if the dog has a black nose and you feed it dried tripe, there is no way of telling if the black nose came from the tripe (and why should tripe give a black nose?) or if it would have had a black nose anyhow.

Same with all these things people will add for coats, shine and what-not.
Unless there is a marked change when you start with whatever aditive you have chosen, and if the change reverts once you stop...well who knows?
In view of Danka and Odins brown noses, feeding tripe sounds like one of those old wife tales to me.
Although Im certain that both Danka and Odin would love you to increase the quantity (just to be on the safe side) ...:-)
OK, I'm off to buy dried tripe first thing tomorrow and I'll let you all know if that marked change sets in! (I'm a bit doubtful...)

I love all those coat growth additives: you start when your bitch has dropped her coat an lo and behold - within 4 weeks the hair is starting to grow and after 8 weeks she is in full bloom. HA!
Jelena just shared some thoughts, tips and tricks about this some days ago. Will ask her to collect them again for this site. Some were just soooo funny :-))))
Never mind if it does not work Susan.
Glen will love it!

And yes, I have seen too many of those additives claiming one thing after the other. I still feel that as long as the dog is healthy, it would get everything it needs from a balanced dog-food. And that includes whatever is needed for a shiny coat.
have you ever smelled dried tripe, Ursula??? if yes, then you would definately NOT recommend to feed more. especially inside, on the couch...
I have most certainly smelled tripe!
Great shitty-smell.
No wonder my (and all other) dogs love it!
Saves them searching through the cat-litter-box.
:-)))
i think my friend moved out from here because of it...

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Gene.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service