Exclusively Setters

Home for Irish Setter Lovers Around the World

Tick control for pregnant & nursing bitches?

The tick season has started early this year... I'd normally use the Scalibor tick collars for my dogs but this year, with my bitch Erin being in whelp, I am uncertain what to do. The vet says Frontline or Scalibor would be OK - but I hardly dare! On the other hand the risk of tick spread disease is real. I'd welcome your views...

Views: 1066

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The safest thing is actually citronella as garlic, thyme and eucalyptus is bad for dogs - and on a bitch in whelping I would not use either, that is for sure.
Hi Sylvia

Im just getting round to reading this post. I have always given my dogs garlic - its good for the blood and it definitely deters ticks. Where did you read garlic wasnt good for them?
This is only in German but you can find it in American sites as well, I am sure. Garlic and onion are absolutely toxic for dogs, cats and horses. They may deter ticks but they also destroy their blood.

vera/aho) Die amerikanische Tierärztin Karen Hayes, DVM, MS, warnt Hunde-, Katzen- und Pferdehalter davor, ihren Tieren Knoblauch als gesundheitsförderliches Ergänzungsfuttermittel oder und natürliches Insektenschutzmittel zu füttern. Knoblauchzehen enthält wie auch gewöhnliche Zwiebeln den Wirkstoff N - Propyl - Disulfid, der rote Blutkörperchen zerstören kann. Folgen sind eine Anämie (Blutarmut), mangelhafte Ausdauer, Kraftlosigkeit und eine erhöhte Anfälligkeit für Infektionen. In einem Versuch verloren beispielsweise Pferde 60% ihrer roten Blutkörperchen, nachdem man ihnen für etwa zwei Wochen Zwiebeln gefüttert hatte. Sie gerieten hierdurch in Lebensgefahr. Weitgehend unbekannt ist, daß auch Hund und Katze auf Aufnahme von Küchenzwiebeln mit Hämolyse (Zerstörung der roten Blutkörperchen) reagieren können.

Dies gilt sowohl für rohe als auch für gekochte und getrocknete Zwiebeln. Beim Hund wirken sich bereits 5-10 g/kg KM rohe Zwiebeln toxisch aus, verantwortlich hierfür sind Schwefelverbindungen, die die Erythrozytenmembran schädigen und Methämoglobin bilden können. Die Vergiftung äußert sich zunächst in Erbrechen und Durchfall, nach 1 - 3 Tagen folgen die Symptome der hämolytischen Anämie (Blutarmut durch Zerstörung der roten Blukörperchen): Appetitlosigkeit, Abgeschlagenheit, blasse Schleimhäute, schnelle Atmung und schneller Puls. Nach Einstellung der Zwiebelfütterung tritt Erholung in der Regel

innerhalb einer Woche ein. Tierärztin Karen Hayes belegt ihre Aussagen mit einer Reihe von

Literaturhinweisen:

Pierce, K.R., et al., Acute hemolytic anemia caused by wild onion poisoning in horses, “Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association,” 1972; pages 160/323 - 327.
Lewis L.D. “Equine Clinical Nutrition,” Williams and Wilkins, 1995, page 480.
Kobluk, Ames, and George, “The Horse; Diseases and Clinical Management,” Saunders, 1995, page 1,083.
Knight A.P. and Walter R.G. “A Guide To Plant Poisoning Of Animals In North America,” Teton NewMedia, 2001, page 186.
Murphy M., “A Field Guide To Common Animal Poisons”; Iowa State University Press, 1996, page 160.
We had both our litters in spring or summer and i never used anything - if you can make sure that you get all the ticks off the bitch before they have been on for 18 hours they will not affect her. But you have to search her carefully. I do not trust any of their confirmations that the stuff is safe.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Gene.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service