Exclusively Setters

Home for Irish Setter Lovers Around the World

DNA Testing for PRA RCD4 is now available

http://www.ahtdnatesting.co.uk/

We advise that all breeding stock is tested before mating.

We have arranged for SEISC members to receive a 20% discount for the test from next Monday for 5 days. Please go to our site www.seisc.co.uk for full details.

Views: 1128

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

agree with you carmel

I agree too Carmel. but I think that there will be a lot out there that will be wanting all of this to just go away..and these people will be saying that their dogs don't have anything wrong with them...problem with that is...we ALL have the potential to be carriers or affected...and there will be the lucky ones that are clear...fingers crossed that we all have the latter as a result...though I suspect there will be many more of the first two...unfortunately

We should all (pet dogs, show dogs and most of all breeding stock) have this done...and in about 4-5 months we should all be asking if the puppies that have been produced since the test have had their parents tested, and don't buy anything that hasn't come from tested stock...I had Saffy tested for the problem that Jas had before I had her mated...and the wait between testing and mateing was dreadful..but if she had come up with the same problem then my beloved Fin and all his brothers and sisters wouldn't be here...

As I have said before..if you mate and there is a problem after, and you didn't know about it...this is a shame...but if you know about the problem before you breed your bitch/dog,, ''then shame on you...''

Hi there Mel

I think that if your blood was used, that has been stored at the AHT for something else, the AHT is obliged to inform the people involved...One way or another...ie carrier/clear/affected...

Ladies....the test is done with a buccal swab.  You can do it yourself.  You just have to put your trust in people.  So far afflicted dogs have been identified.  The people who own them have been honest and up front.  There are many more like them.  It does not benefit any breeder to stick their head in the sand and hope it will go away.

I will be doing Louis next week.  As top sire he must be done.  I pray he is neither afflicted nor a carrier.  However, with a DNA test for this, as any other, specific condition we can breed with confidence because we know what we are working with.  Nothing is insurmountable................

Oh and no witch hunts please......shame on you if you do!!

Eva I know the type of test it is, but as I have never done it before and it is so expensive I would rather my Vet do it for me so there is no error!! And it keeps my Vet informed of this new problem in the breed! I think most breeders are honest, but there are always bad apples in every walk of life!! I hope my Abbey is clear too, but I shall deal with it when I get the result!!

My apologies Carmel, I was writing generally and responding to a number of comments.  I agree with you and if I feel I cannot do the test myself then I will also get my vet to do it.

I have faith in many breeders and am sure we will all work together for the common good. 

I assume, if we use or breed from a carrier we will have all the offspring tested.  I also assume results of all tested dogs will be published by the Breed Clubs, as CLAD has been, so the information will be in the public domain.

I have faith in most breeders too;o)) And I hope results are published too!! We need the info ;o)

on a previous post re similar discussion carmel 

That frase is not a witch hunt, it means that if you have an affected dog and breed it to say a carrier, or carrier to carrier, and then sell the puppies then shame on you. Or that you just don't bother to test before breeding at all.  Eva you should think the same. I am not condeming anyone, that doesn't know, but ignorance is not bliss in this case....I am not pointing the finger at anyone...but if you know that you are sending puppies into the world that will have two of these genes, from both parents, then you shouldn't be breeding...and I hope that the breed clubs will say the same...if you have affected you can only breed to clear...but for me affected shouldn't be breed with...carrier to clear is as far as I would go...because we will maybe have a small gene pool to work with, and then we will hopefully irradicate this... (like CLAD and RCD1)

But churning out affected dogs knowingly then yes I put my hands up...I mean every word of that....shame on you....

As for the Buckle test the brush is easy to use...have done it on Jas re her eye problem, and it doesn't hurt the dog at all...it just means that you have got to 'scrub' the inside of the cheeks..simples...

I dont believe you can breed from affected dogs at all?? Its clear to clear and clear to carrier(and then testing offspring)!!

This was ment to be an example, not fact...but there will be some out there that don't know or want to know about all of this...these are the people that I was talking about....there will be some that will still go ahead and breed their animals, without the knowledge that we all have, because they are breeding with animals that would never be tested, usually pets never having been shown....this is why people should beware of buying puppies that aren't tested...I was not saying that this will be acceptible breeding from affected animals, onn the contrary. anyone that thinks this is acceptable......well words fail me.

What I was trying to say was....the KC's of all countries, should make it compulsery to have ALL breeding stock tested...before the puppies can be registered...I was just trying to use the example to make it easier...

I will not try and use examples again it seems to make things worse...

carmel this is the quote from aht on rcd4 

quote:>>>>Our research has demonstrated that the frequency of the rcd4 mutation in Irish Setters is high and approximately 30-40% of dogs might be carriers. The mutation is recessive which means that all dogs can be bred from safely but carriers and genetically affected dogs should only be bred to DNA tested, clear dogs.>>>endquote

If your dog/bitch is DNA'd a carrier/affected you CAN still breed from such a dog but MUST use a DNA'd CLEAR mate.  Of course all puppies from such matings MUST be DNA'd to determine their PRA-rcd4 status.

This will ensure that the breeding lines are NOT thrown out with baby & bathwater, breeders will not face the heartache of having to start again, & MOST IMPORTANTLY the gene pool will not be diminished beyond a breed-viable point.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Gene.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service