Home for Irish Setter Lovers Around the World
I know we read on here and elsewhere about things that are poisonous to our dogs and sometimes it seems unreal.
I have a friend who has a standard poodle the same age as Arthur and is a big puppy too.The puppy managed to find and eat six grapes.He nearly died as he went into renal distress.He is ok now but another dog, treated by the same vet, ate one grape and had renal failure and died.I didn't realise how toxic grapes really are.
we had a grape vine in our backyard for a while and our boardercollie would help herself at the time we had no idea grapes can be dangerous she lived to ripe old age of 17
the most lethal substance for dogs is antifreeze for your car it can drip on to the ground and is very sweet smelling to dogs apparently they only need to lick a very small amount to kill them.
I agree, I think it depends on the dog. My IS girl at my parent's house just turned 12 in January and we have always given her grapes as treats when I was younger and didn't know better, she loved them especially frozen. This is the same dog though who ate 1.5 lbs of chocolate around easter one year. I was making candy treats and had the melting chocolates in the cupboard. She found the bag and ate it ALL. She did throw up everywhere after drinking about a gallon of water but after that was totally fine. She's a trip. Typical sassy IS even at 12.
Although I must add I now would never knowingly give a dog grapes nor do I leave chocolate where it is accessible ;)