Exclusively Setters

Home for Irish Setter Lovers Around the World

If you have a dog....please read this.....

If you have a dog ... PLEASE Read

This and send it on. If you don't

Have a dog, please pass along

To friends who do.

Written by:
Laurinda Morris, DVM
Danville Ve teri nary Clinic
Danville , OH

This week I had the first case in history of raisin

Toxicity ever seen at MedVet. My patient was

A 56-pound, 5 yr old male neutered lab mix

That ate half a canister of raisins sometime

Between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM on Tuesday. He

Started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking

About 1 AM on Wednesday but the owner didn't

Call my emergency service until 7 AM.

I had heard somewhere about raisins AND

Grapes causing acute Renal failure but hadn't

< /div>

Seen any formal paper on the subject. We

Had her bring the dog in immediately. In the

Meantime, I called the ER service at MedVet,

And the doctor there was like me - had heard

Something about it, but... Anyway, we

Contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison

Control Center and they said to give IV fluids

At 1 & 1/2 times maintenance and watch the

Kidney values for the next 48-72 hours.

The dog's BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was

Already at 32 ( norma l less than 27) and

Creatinine over 5 (1.9 is the high end of norma l).

Both are monitors of kidney function in the

Bloodstream. We placed an IV catheter and

Started the fluids. Rechecked the renal values

At 5 PM and the BUN was over 40 and creatinine

Over 7 with no urine production after a liter of

Fluids. At that point I felt the dog was in acute

Renal failure and sent him on to MedVet for a

Urinary catheter to monitor urine output overnight

As well as overnight care.

He started vomiting again overnight at MedVet

And his renal values continued to increase

Daily. He produced urine when given lasix as a

Diuretic. He was on 3 different anti-vomiting

Medications and they still couldn't control his

Vomiting. Today his urine output decreased

Again, his BUN was over 120, his creatinine was

At 10, his phosphorus was very elevated and his

Blood pressure, which had been staying around

150, skyrocketed to 220 ... He continued to vomit

And the owners elected to Euthanize.

This is a very sad case - great dog, great owners

Who had no idea raisins could be a toxin. Please

Alert everyone you know who has a dog of this

Very serious risk.



Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or grapes could

Be toxic. Many people I know give their dogs grapes

Or raisins as treats including our ex-handler's. Any

Exposure should give rise to immediate concern.

Onions, chocolate, cocoa and macadamia nuts can

Be fatal, too.




Even if you don't have a dog, you might have friends

Who do. This is worth passing on to them.

Confirmation from Snopes about the above ...


http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/raisins.asp

Views: 44

Comment by Annie Cheron on February 24, 2009 at 3:15am
TANK YOU VERY MUCH
Comment by Kristina Brannlund Westin on February 24, 2009 at 4:07am
Thank´s!

I had No idea that raisins and grapes was dangerous for dogs.
Comment by Mirjam on February 24, 2009 at 5:15am
Sad, that the owners didn't knew raisins were toxic...
Comment by Dušan Rauški on February 24, 2009 at 8:20am
We have grapes in our backyard and all my dogs love it! In fact i sometimes give them as a treat - only few beries of grapes once in a while, but i can't really swear that it was less then 7 berries every time. This is going on for years like this and i never had any problems. Maybe it has something to do with sort of grapes? (Just a thought)
Comment by Catherine Carter on February 24, 2009 at 8:23am
Please Dusan, read also the link where more is explained.
Comment by Laura Kolbach on February 24, 2009 at 9:09am
please also add the green nutshell to your list of toxic stuff... many dogs love to crack-and-eat them....
Comment by Catherine Carter on February 24, 2009 at 9:11am
what is a green nutshell???
Comment by Laura Kolbach on February 24, 2009 at 9:19am
oh yeah, love the english language... i mean that green "shell" around the walnut, while getting "ripe"... can't explain it more clearly and of course i can't find the word in any dictionary either.
Comment by Catherine Carter on February 24, 2009 at 9:31am
Ok, perhaps you mean the husk??? makes your fingers very dirty when picking walnuts....I did not know dogs would eat these....
Comment by Laura Kolbach on February 24, 2009 at 9:35am
i really don't know what it is called but it is green and covers the nutshell :-) usually we never see that husk, only if you have a tree in your garden :-)
and you know, some dogs would eat anything...

Comment

You need to be a member of Exclusively Setters to add comments!

Join Exclusively Setters

Badge

Loading…

© 2022   Created by Gene.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service