Exclusively Setters

Home for Irish Setter Lovers Around the World

Due to problems accessing the AHT website Dr Nigel Holmes has kindly agreed to extend the "promotional code" for the South fo England Irish Setter Club until 31st August. Unfortunately the original code cannot still be used so a new one has had to  be issued and will have to be obtained again from the SEISCwebmaster. The AHT apologises for any inconvenience caused!

Views: 28583

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am lucky because my vet is very clued up about genetic disorders and available DNA tests and has surprised me with how much she knows.  I do think she researches her client's breeds.  I have already discussed this with her.  She is also very supportive and helpful

Hope anyone who has carriers can find lovely mates for your dogs/bitches and of course everyone should be testing. 

I agree Angela...
hi lynn and teresa sorry to hear about your girls and its like you say nothings changed they are still the same gorgeous girls as before the tests
Margaret wrote

"And one can also preserve type, without line breeding, by choosing a stud dog with similar and desired phenotype but with a very different pedigree. "

I do not agree that this statement is so because firstly, how is a bitch going to be the same phenotype as the male you hope will preserve your phenotype??

Secondly, How many look alike Kerryfair Night Fevers,Marksway Marquis's or Caspian Intrepid s have you seen????

They were mated to bitches of great diversity, some closely related and others complete outcrosses!!!! In fact this could be said of any sire.How many people used a sire, hopng to get something like the sire, and got it??????

There are some sires like shch Scarletti Cockney Rebel who put their stamp on their progeny particularly in the heads, and more recently i have seen a dog sired by Eva,s dog that i think is the dead ringer of his sire, but i feel these are the exceptions rather than the rule????

Sometimes it is possible to see a type that the sire tends to produce. This is often quite different to the Sire himself!

I still feel you may be in with half a chance if they have some common denominators but at the end it is random selection of genes that is the deciding factor and good luck!..

Interesting points Colette.  Camilla and I have often discussed the preservation of phenotype, particularly with regard to maintaining it within a breeding kennel.  I agree that dominant sires seldom reproduce themselves but they can produce a type or conformation or movement that is desired and which can go through to the grand children and great grand children.  Much also depends on how dominant the bitch lines are.  Breeders don't always use a sire because they want a clone of him.  We all know that it takes the same sire and dam to do that but even then it doesn't work 2nd time around as borne out with repeat matings.  I certainly believe that if you have a strong bitch line and the type you want you can, by using a sire of similar type but not necesarily similar pedigree, retain that type.  Your whole aim is to improve.

I know the Concept son you mean Colette andI agree with you and he is not line bred......genes are a funny thing!!!

rcd?, rcd5? 

The latest I heard on the 'rogue' LOPRA cases is that the 2 Irish Setters, 2 1/2 IRWS and 2 (I think it is still 2) Gordon Setters that are not rcd4 PRA are still waiting for more cases to turn up.  This means that more dogs being examined by panel ophthalmologists the better. In the last year 45 'old' IRWS have been examined and sent DNA to the AHT (for PPC research) of these, 2 and 'probably' 1, have been identified as having LOPRA - but not rdc4 - now the plan is to DNA test the 42 controls and 19 PPC affected IRWS to see if any are rdc4 carriers among them ... and if any light can be shone on rcd?

It is heartening to know that Irish and Gordons are making great efforts to get their dogs tested and DNA sent in.  IRWS will redouble the effort to get those few breeders not already on board and pet owners to join in this so important research.

The speed with which LOPRA has been handled by these three breeds is exemplary! ;o]))) Does anyone know if English Setters have this problem?                 

Not as far as I know, Ann.  But it could be interesting to have that checked out :)))

Colette wrote "How many look alike Kerryfair Night Fevers,Marksway Marquis's or Caspian Intrepid s have you seen????

They were mated to bitches of great diversity, some closely related and others complete outcrosses!!!! In fact this could be said of any sire.How many people used a sire, hopng to get something like the sire, and got it??????"

And of those bitches who were complete outcrosses, how many were mated to these stud dogs on the basis of close similarity of phenotype? I would hazard  guess the main motive for using that particular dog was that he was a top winning show dog/ popular sire, and whether the dog was a good match for the bitch had little to do with it

congratuations on zaranas results helen
congratulations to Zarana on the results for her two dogs.
I have been asked by Zorana to thank the kind people that telephoned and put on ES there congratulations.on her two being clear.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Gene.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service