Home for Irish Setter Lovers Around the World
So, I tried to collect all the defenitions and placed them toghether! The idea is for everyone to choose their own top ten, and then we'll select the ten more voted options at the end of the week! We've made quite a long list!
Being a Setter is...
10. ...Being the best kept secret in the canine world!
11. ...Wagging even more at a loved one's voice
12. ...Smiling at your own tomfoolery
13. ...Diverting anger with silliness
14. ...Sitting with your rump on the chair
15. ...Taking up all the bed
17. ... eating cat/horse poo and looking up to you while chewing it with that "i didn't eat this mum" look
18. ... pawing !!
19. ... swimming like a seal, even with head under water
21. ...Blowing bubbles under water
22. ...Taking a mouthful of water and dribbling it......all over the humans!
23. ...Being dignified when under attack by other dogs
24. ... chasing whippets/greyhounds and wondering afterwards why they never catch them
25. ... Behaving on the sofa that I sometimes wonder if we got a canine looking cat.
26. ... Making friends with non-doggie people, where I thought no such thing is possible.
27. ... Being mischievous with such charme, that it is not possible to get upset.
28. ... Not obeying every command with that look that says: 'I can think for myself, thanks!'
29. ... Smiling
30. ... Giving out - an Irish expression for the talking and very apt especially at meal times.
31. ... Yawning when being told off - the equivalent of 'whatever'.
32. ...having a stuffed animal in his mouth at all times.
33. ..using their sixth sense to know when you are sad, and giving you that special cuddle to make you feel so loved and happy
34. ...eating cat poo out of the litter tray - urgh!
35. ...having Tigger style legs for bouncing
36. ...making everyone turn and look and say 'wow, look at that dog'
37. ... Getting their top lick stuck
38. ...blanket sucking
40. ...resting head on table to join in with conversation
41. ...summoning you to bed because they need to use you as a pillow!
42. ...crossing their front paws while lying and leaning back and watching the goofy world go by!
My top ten would be:
1, 2, 3, 7, 8, 15, 22, 26, 27, 40!
with no order - just from 1 to 40:
1, 2, 8, 9, 13, 14, 22, 36, 38, 40
I'm missing something here. How about ...hunting & setting? :-))
I know Susan! I love how Cash can be in the middle of a good romp with other breeds and suddenly his nose kicks into gear and off he goes into the woods. The other dogs think he is a nut case. Always bolting across the field and trying to climb trees, standing on his hind legs crying!
You are right Susan,that should be on number one, but I was actually looking for the non obvious stuff and the little details that only setter owner would know about. =)
Being crazy, hunting and setting is what they are famous for, but I find there is much more to a setter than that ;)
But yes, I agree, we should add it to the list! From what I can see right now...
47. Hunting and setting!
2. Sleeping with your belly up
14....Sitting with your rump on the chair
15....Taking up all the bed
22....Taking a mouthful of water and dribbling it......all over the humans!
27 ...Being mischievous with such charm, that it is not possible to get upset.
30…Giving out - an Irish expression for the talking and very apt especially at meal times.
33….Using their sixth sense to know when you are sad, and giving you that special cuddle
to make you feel so loved and happy
37....Getting their top lick stuck
40....resting head on table to join in with conversation
My top ten
1, 2, 7, 11, 16, 17, 22, 27, 38, 40.
I have to add a few more here;o))
43. Totally crazy about birds! As Susan says, hunting;o)
44 Presenting a rear end for a back scratch!
45 Sliding a bum on your lap as you watch TV
46 Giving out to you when late home for feeding time!
Can I just say that number 31 makes me chuckle every time I read it.
I love all of them but 31 and 32 sum up my dog totally!
1, 2, 8, 9, 10, 23, 31, 32, 36, 40.
I have been thinking of some of the funny things that our dogs have done over the years, I think this is a little bit of each of them but I could add so many more!!!
2, 8, 11, 14, 18, 21, 22, 27, 32, 42
16...leaning ( I sometimes think they should have been called Irish Leaners)
3..mastering the art of owner training (have not yet trained one of my Irish as well as they trained me to their whims)
32..having a stuffed animal in mouth at all times ( What? only one? mine have always liked two or more!)
21..blowing bubbles under water (snorkeling lessons I swear they learned from their Mom's as I sure did not teach it)
39..thieving ( It really is just them using what is theirs as what they want belongs to them is how they see it)
18..pawing ( I had to teach them something "legal" to do with their paws in self defense so High Fives and Shakes they
excell at and use to let us know they want something)
36...making everyone stop and say "Look at that dog" (what kind of dog is that? I had one (or my _____-did and it
really was a wild(crazy or dumb) dog.....how do you make yours behave? Does she always prance when she
33..using their sixth sense to know when you are sad and giving you that special cuddle to make you feel loved ( they
always seem to know and want to share what you are feeling...happy or sad)
28..not obeying every command with a look that says "I can think for myself ,thankyou" ( or the look that says
"Are you talking to me? Your really talking to me? Are you sure your talking to me? Alright.......I'll be
there right after I chase this squirrel up the tree!")
9...melting hearts with a single look. ( Every one of my Irish Setters stole my heart with that first look into eyes so
loving and innocent......and then it was those same eyes that told me the lies when they were up to their typical
Irish Setter mischief.....and I could never be mad for long with those eyes looking at me!)
All my Irish Setters lived life as a game...one full of joy at just being with the ones they loved and were loved by and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Great idea and as I type this it really got me thinking of all my Irish loves and all the smiles and laughter they have given us over the years.
© 2023 Created by Gene. Powered by